Monday, September 19, 2011

Cuddling with ABBA

ABBA
          There are hundreds of names for God but my favorite is ABBA. According to the glossary at the Hebrew for Christians site, the word ABBA is an Aramaic form of endearment for father. Jesus uses that term while praying at the Garden of Gethsemane according to Mark 14: 35-37; 35 Going a little farther, he fell to the ground and prayed that if possible the hour might pass from him. 36 “Abba, Father,”he said, “everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will.” (NIV)
          Scholars tell us to be careful about thinking of God, the Creator of the Universe, as “Daddy”. They caution us about becoming too familiar with God and not giving Him the proper respect.
          One of the things I love about my relationship with my God is that I do not need to depend on Scholars to define it. My thinking is greatly influenced because I was blessed to have a wonderful loving and warm earthly dad. Whether I called him Daddy or Dad or referred to him as Father in my writings I never lost respect for him or his position as head of our family.
          It has been many years since I was able to hug my earthly father; he has been home with our loving Creator for 29 years. But I can cuddle with my ABBA father anytime I pray and I often do. For me it is not only comforting but also spiritually energizing.
          So let me suggest that the next time you pray get comfortable, close your eyes and allow the presence of our Heavenly ABBA to envelop you and give you His peace and wisdom.
            

No comments:

Post a Comment