Thursday, September 8, 2011

I Trust in Him and I am Safe

PSALM 91: 1-2 (The Message)
You who sit down in the High God's presence, spend the night in Shaddai's shadow, Say this: "God, you're my refuge. I trust in you and I'm safe!" 
PSALM 91: 4 (New Living Translation)
 4 He will cover you with his feathers.
      He will shelter you with his wings.
      His faithful promises are your armor and protection.
          I have been blessed with friends that I can call on and they will help me when I need a ride or just an open ear. But there are some times when I just don’t know how to put into words what I feel or need. That is when I come back to this Psalm and its promise of God-(El Shaddai-the all sufficient one, the destroyer, the feeder of babies) as my protector.  During these times I think of El Shaddai as the nurturer, someone I can cuddle up with and just be. El Shaddai allows me rest and refocus, helping me prioritize and not panic.
          Reading all of Psalm 91 just infuses me with a spirit of calm and confidence. Each time I read verse 4, it reminds me of a story I heard about a raging forest fire and a firefighter who came upon a charred bird at the base of a burned tree. When he knocked the bird over a handful of unharmed chicks came scurrying out from underneath her wings. This mother bird gave up her life for her children, just as God, in the form of Jesus Christ gave up His life for me.
          I love going back to this Psalm and finding the treasures throughout. Most of all I love the picture of being protected under the arms of our Creator. Some days I just need that rest, how about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment