Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Forgiveness

MATTHEW 18:21-35 (NLT)
 21 Then Peter came to him and asked, “Lord, how often should I forgive someone who sins against me? Seven times?”  22 “No, not seven times,” Jesus replied, 
“but seventy times seven!
35 “That’s what my heavenly Father will do to you if you refuse to forgive your brothers and sisters from your heart.”

          When Peter asked Jesus how many times he needed to forgive others, I picture Peter being very surprised by the response. The Old Testament (Hebrew Scriptures) had taught an eye for an eye. Even though in Matthew 6:9-14, Jesus tells His disciples, “This, then, is how you should pray: “‘Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, 10 your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. 11 Give us today our daily bread. 12 And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. 13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.’14 For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.” Now Jesus goes even further by saying basically there is no time you should not forgive.
          Sometimes I wonder how God expects me to do that…forgive someone who has wronged me or worse my children. Then I think of that wonderful song by John Newton, “Amazing Grace”. When I look at those words I realize that it is only by God’s grace that we can possibly forgive others or ourselves.
          I once did a Bible Study by David Jeremiah, called Captured by Grace. This book drew comparisons between John Newton and the apostle Paul, Jeremiah said both men were captured by grace. He went on to discuss the differences between grace and mercy. Jeremiah said, “Mercy is God withholding from us what we truly deserve.” And “Grace is God giving to us what we don’t deserve.”
          When I look back at this discussion of mercy and grace how can I not forgive someone else? I admit this is not yet my automatic response but after much prayer I am usually able to hand my bitterness over to God. Once again the key is prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment